Sunday, April 12, 2009

Welcome to Cambodia!

I got here March 31, 2009 and started work officially the day after.

Almost two weeks, and to date, the following have welcomed me:

1. Ten days I stayed in a hotel. As previously practiced, I leave my hotel keys by the receptionist everytime I leave (all bags are locked of course). On my third day, I went back to my hotel, and the receptionist tells me that a guy got my room keys. Fearful and stunned!

I asked them to open my room, and lo'and behold, the new tenants of room 110 were there!! Mortified and panicking! (Asan daw ang gamit ko?!!)

Went back to the receptionist and they tell me that maybe I was confused and got the room number wrong. Grabe, scene from Red Corner and Brokedown Palace.. waiting for the police to get me. I call Oliver in panic. Receptionist #2 taps me, and tells me, "I'm sorry, we transferred you to another room, you're now in room 108."

Enter room 108. Everything is there. Immaculate, just how I left it that morning - only, I'm in a different room. Haay, wala man lang pasabi!

Didn't get mad though, natawa na lang ako. All is well.

2. Dinner along Sihanouk Rd. Banggaan! Car #1 hits car #2. Car #1 speeds off. Parang walang nangyari.

3. Riding the tuktuk. A motorcycle hits our tuktuk by the side. Again, parang walang nangyari!

4. Office story: Day 1- no internet. Day 2 - no drinking water by our floor. 4th floor kami, have to get drinking water at the 2nd floor. Exercise, baybeh!

Hay, welcome to Cambodia!

So far, so good. More good than Bad. Always comes in threes (or fours) naman daw. Hopefully, yun na yon- or more likely, masasanay din ako. =)

By now, I'm settled in my new place. It's cozy and feels almost like my second home.

No comments:

Post a Comment